Town Clerk

Tax Collector Information

The Clerk's office is the general information center for the Town of North Elba. Please feel free to e-mail, call or stop by if you have questions for any of our offices. We will be happy to direct your request to the appropriate party.

The Town Clerk's office is responsible for the upkeep of the Town's records, including Birth, Death and Marriage. We issue DEC Hunting & Fishing Licenses as well as Dog Licenses. We are responsible for recording the minutes for each Town Board meeting.

Contact Us

Laurie C. Dudley, Town Clerk

Office phone: (518) 523-2162

Chelsie V. Geesler, Deputy Town Clerk/Clerk to the Supervisor/ Park District
Office phone:  (518) 523-9516 or (518) 523-2591
Office fax:  (518) 523-9569

Office Hours

Monday - Friday
9am - 5pm

Mailing Address

2693 Main Street, Suite 101
Lake Placid, NY 12946


Certified copies of Birth Certificates, Death Certificates, and Marriage Licenses are available for a $10 fee per copy. 
The following are links to printable request forms (pdf format):

Genealogy copies (uncertified copies) of the following types of records are available for genealogy research purposes:

  • Birth certificates - if on file for at least 75 years and the person whose name is on the birth certificate is known to be deceased.
  • Death certificates - if on file for at least 50 years.
  • Marriage certificates - if on file for at least 50 years and the couple are both known to be deceased.

Marriage License

A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply in person for a marriage license. The application for a license must be signed  by both parties in the presence of the clerk. A representative cannot apply for the license on behalf of the couple.

When should we get our license?
Although the marriage license is issued immediately, the marriage ceremony may not take place within 24 hours from the exact time that the license was issued. A marriage license is valid for 60 days, beginning the day after it is issued.

How much does the license cost?
The marriage license costs $40 and can be paid by check or cash. This fee includes the issuance of a Certificate of Marriage Registration. Additional Certificate of Marriage can be obtained by this office for $10 a copy.

What do we need to bring?
A Birth Certificate, Baptismal record, or Naturalization record and a Driver's license, Passport, Employment ID, or Immigration record must be provided to obtain a marriage license. Divorce papers or death certificates are also needed if applicable.

Tax Collector

Laurie C. Dudley, 518-523-2162

Taxes are collected in North Elba from January 1st to April 30th

NYS Department of Environmental Conservation

Hunting and Fishing Licenses are available for sale in the Town Clerk's office.

Purchase Hunting and Fishing License Online

Please visit the NYS DEC website for fees and requirements:

2009-10 Fishing, Hunting, and Trapping Licenses may be purchased beginning August 17, 2009.


Dog Licenses: Dogs in the Town of North Elba must be licensed with the Town Clerk (523-2162). Current Rabies Certificate is required. The maximum fine for an unlicensed dog is $250. Licenses must be renewed annually; $10 for spayed/neutered and $20 unaltered dogs.

Please bring the following documentation:

  1. If the dog is spayed or neutered - a certificate from a licensed veterinarian showing that the dog has been spayed or neutered, unless this proof is already on file with the Town Clerk.
  2. ALL dogs three months or older must have proof of a rabies vaccination signed by a licensed veterinarian.
  3. Check payable to the Town of North Elba for the appropriate license fee

The license will be validated for one year, and renewals will be mailed to the owner.



Punch cards are available in the Town Clerk's office and at the Transfer Station scale house.

$15.00 card allows 10 punches up to 40 gallon size bags.

For more information regarding the Transfer Station and Recycling Center, please contact Shannon Porter at 518-523-9081.


Handicap tags belong to the person and not the vehicle. Therefore, the tag can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. Only one tag can be issued per person.

The website below is a direct link to the Department of Motor Vehicles application for a handicap tag. Applications are also available in the Town Clerk's Office.

The form must be completed by a physician and a valid drivers license is required.

back to top