The Town of North Elba endeavors to reduce solid waste, promote the recycling of material, and maintain and advance a clean, sustainable and environmentally conscious community. It is the ultimate goal of our program to foster educational links and stimulate collaboration between local government and all segments of our population; our youth, employees, visitors, homeowners, businesses, and seasonal residents. Environmental responsibility requires a commitment from everyone!
74 Recycle Circle Lane
Lake Placid, NY 12946
Phone: (518) 523-2940
Fax: (518) 523-7365
Hours of Operation
Monday-Wednesday & Friday-Saturday
8:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
Closed Thursdays, Sundays, and Holiday
Wheels for Wishes is a car donation program benefiting Make-A-Wish Northeast New York. We are proud to offer an easy way to recycle or donate unwanted cars, trucks, motocycles, SUVs, RVs, or even boats, by turning them into a wish for a local child.
Transfer Station Prices:
New Rates Effective 1/1/2013:
- Garbage $.08lb or $160/ton
- C&D $.08lb or $160/ton
- Metal $.08lb or $160/ton
If weighing in, there is minimum charge of $6.00 for any load under 80 pounds
Dump Trucks $15.00
Wednesday, Friday and Saturday 8:00-4:00 pm
We accept Wood and Shingles ( Sheetrock and Instulation material is garbage)
All loads must be checked by attendant!
- Pickups & Single-Axle Trailers $15.00
- 1-Ton $ 2-Axle Trailers $25.00
- Single-Axle Dump Truck $35.00
- Tandem Axle Dump Truck $50.00
The Town of North Elba uses a punch card system for residential customers. This will allow our customers to "pay by the bag". The transfer station attendant will count your bags and punch your card by the rates indicated below. Punch cards are available for purchase at the Transfer Station scale house and the Town Hall in $10.00 (20 $.50 punches) and $20.00 (20 $1.00 punches) amounts.
Punch Card Rates
Maximum of six (6) bags allowed at one visit when using punch cards.
15 Gallon $.50
30 Gallon $1.50
40 Gallon $2.00
Garbage, Construction & Debris, Metal: $.08/lb. or $160/ton; minimum charge $6.00 per load
Types of waste accepted (at charge):
Household trash, Metal, Construction material (Wood and Shingles), Leaves/Compost (not brush, limbs, or tree stumps until further notice).
Items accepted for recycling are subject to change.
The Town of North Elba is pleased to announce an expansion to the list of items that can be recycled at the Town Transfer Station at no cost:
* Glass--bottles and jars (green, brown, and clear)
* Metal--Tin cans, Aluminum cans, Foil and Pans
* Plastic--#1 through #7 (The #'s are located on the bottom of containers)
* Newspaper, Magazines, Catalogs, Junk mail, Envelopes and Cardboard
* Paper grocery bags
* Books and Publications (no hard cover)
* Cereal and Food Boxes (no waxed coated)
* Cell phones
* Rechargeable batteries
* Ink jet and Toner cartridges
Electronic Waste is free for recycling
* Computer Peripherals (monitors, keybord, mouse, scanner, printers and fax),Televisons, DVD Players,
VCR players, portable digital music players, game consoles.
Other items accepted for recycling at .08 per pound:
* Unbroken fluorescent bulbs
* Household batterie
Please help us do our part in reducing the amount of waste that ends up in our landfill by taking full advantage the recycling program. These lists will continue to grow as we find markets for other items and as we receive suggestions from you for new items to recycle.
Recycling is essential for the preservation of our natural resources and environment. If we don't recycle, we will eventually run out of space for all of our trash. On the average, Americans generate 4.3 pounds of solid waste every day. Here are some important reasons for each of us to recycle:
- It's Easy ~ Recycling in the home, school, and workplace can be easy and convenient. Use smart shopping habits! Buy only what you need. Use a reusable cloth shopping bag to reduce the need for paper or plastic. There are recycling opportunities everywhere that are easy and convenient to do every day.
- It Saves Money ~ You can save money by smart shopping to reduce waste, reuse materials, and buying recycled products. You can also make money by turning in your bottles and cans.
- It Creates Jobs ~ Recycling is a big business in NYS. It is a mainstream industry of statewide importance accounting for over 50,000 jobs and producing $10 Billion in products and services each year.
- It Conserves Energy ~ A lot of energy is needed to make products. Energy is saved by reducing or reusing the amount of products we need to buy. For example, less energy is required to produce a gallon of re-refined oil than creating new oil.
- It Preserves Natural Resources ~ Reducing, reusing and recycling materials helps prevent the need to cut down new materials such as trees or digging into new mines. Also, it saves natural resources by not creating new landfills to hold new waste. Reducing, reusing, and recycling material eliminates the need to build the equivalent of one new large landfill each year in New York.
Bottle Redemption Guidelines